Wednesday, June 16, 2010

standing in the gap...

Ok so I have talked about my lack of desire for the bus ride out to blessed hope. It truly is a looooong way on very bad roads. However, some of the roads are under construction and I have to say that we need these men to come to Nashville to work on our roads . throughout this week we have seen significant progress and actually drove down one side of a completed new road. But also, as we left the orphanage the one side had disappeared. Kind of funny how they figure things out. Our driver got us back on track somehow. Anyway, as we drove in this morning, I was sitting in my usual spot, next to a window that opens. Some of them do not so I am just sure to get one that does. I have it open wide enough to have space to take pictures along the way. As you drive through these small very rural villages you see and hear and smell all kinds of things ranging from homemade coal burning, to garbage on the streets (it’s everywhere) to fresh cut lumber to corn roasting to exhaust from cars to speeding motorcycles (boda bodas- they are motorcycle cabs that are twice as much because they get you there in half the time) to body odor (I don't think deodorant is commonly used) and on and on. You see very interesting people doing very interesting things...cows and goats just randomly roaming the streets until time to go home(i think i know where the phrase "until the cows come home" came from. they just roam and then know when to "go home")... naked babies running here and there, women sweeping the rocks from the dirt roads/pathways and from there door stoops to men sitting or standing in “sports bars” watching the world cup games, or men transporting huge loads of bananas, pineapples, sugar cane or coal on their bicycles. It’s amazing what these people do. For real. Well I have been very careful of what and whom I am taking photos. Let me tell you, I am so tempted to snap (I won’t say shoot) some of the police men but hey, they look really very mean. Yesterday, we were stuck in traffic and I was a little, tiny bit scared (as was Emily who threatened me immensely not to do it) as I began to lift my camera. This man (who would be perfectly played by Samuel L. Jackson) stared at me in a very, very sinister way for a just a little too long. Emily was about to kill or shall I say hit me really hard. Anyway, thank goodness our driver got us out of that traffic jam, figuratively and literally, and we were on our way. So this morning I thought I would just sit and try to soak in the sights and sounds. As I sat there minding my own business, a hand reached in my window. This hand belonged to Moses the Champion Bicycle rider who was riding his bicycle through the very busy and crowded streets of Kampala. Now realize I have not seen a traffic light or a stop sign since we have been here. He was speaking to me in a mixture of English and Lugandan. All I know is he was proud of his talent and wanted me to watch. He was scaring me half to death. Lifting his leg and riding with one hand and weaving back and forth all while holding onto my window while our bus is zooming in and out of traffic. My team members thought it was quite funny as I tried to get Moses to stop or just go away. I feel humbled, though, as I got to talk to THE champion bicycle rider. “Many, many people come to this country to try to beat him”. Anyway, we make it to the orphanage for the 4th time today. The kids greet us as usual. They are so happy to see us each day. It’s a total rock star feeling. They carry their Bibles around and some are found reading it alone in quiet places. I especially love seeing the older kids (14,15,16) taking time to focus on what they are reading and just seeing the hunger in them wanting to learn and take it all in. Pastor Michael was there today and I began to talk to him as I chatted with my friend, Irene. I explained to him that Michael was a special name and why. We talked about my nephew and just began to talk about our families. He showed me a photo of his family and we just went about the day. He later came up to me and expressed how grateful they were for all we were doing. I stated that we are here, yes, but there are many people back home that supported us financially and helped get the beds and the Bibles. He said to me “But thank you for standing in the gap.” That hit me hard. We are not here to accept praise or to pat ourselves on the back but yes, we are standing in the gap doing what we can. Barbara presented Emily, Abigail and me with necklaces she had made. Irene told me that she would like to keep in touch with us so she is going to allow mail to be sent through her home address for Barbara to receive. This will be a good thing. Abigail is so attached to some of these kids and is already feeling a home sickness for them as we will be leaving soon. She has been very emotional today. I don’t think it has hit Emily yet…but it will. These kids have loved on them all week. The kids sang and danced for us today “honoring their gifts” that we have given. “Mama” at the orphanage shared that some of the teachers walked in on the kids this morning for a normal morning routine and some were randomly worshipping on their own just so happy to be in their Sweet Sleep bed! They said they have never seen the kids initiate worship on their own. After dinner Jennifer had a whim to go get ice cream. so…we all piled into our lovely bus and went to an Italian ice cream place “Ciao Ciao” …of course we were all a little leery of this because it was dairy and the scoops were in water, etc, you get my point. But we did it. Most of us got it so we will all get sick together if that makes any difference. OK going to bed. Long blog and I am soo tired. But I hope I have time tomorrow to tell you about the adorable little girl names Marion who I scared out of her wits by taking her picture. I was also the first Mzungu she had ever seen. She was new to the orphanage. It ends well. She is my buddy now but it made me feel awful. Goodnight from Kampala!

1 comment:

  1. Kelli, your detailed descriptions are wonderful! (I even felt a little queasy reading about the bus rides!)Am praying that this day will be full of special moments with your new friends.
    Blessings to you and the girls,
    Mary Ann Hooper

    ReplyDelete