Thursday, June 17, 2010

the story of esther...



Today was a little more relaxed. I think we have all settled in and have come to terms with what we are dealing with everyday. The bus ride even seemed less annoying. We were greeted by some of the older kids because classes were still going on. They led us to the class rooms. It’s funny that we all really do learn the same things. I watched a very enthusiastic math teacher teach line graphing. He was so passionate and enthusiastic. The history lesson was about the Stone Age. When we got there we watched the kids run relay races. They are funny. Yesterday they ran with spoons in their mouths and eggs in the spoons. They also ran with a soda bottle balanced on their head. Classic. We then “had church”. The kids led is in a worships service in the prayer garden. This included singing, dancing, drumming and a skit about Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. The boys did this and they used two sheets as their stage curtain. A young man (about 16 years old named Richard) then read scripture. He is from Gulu in northern Uganda. These people have servant hearts. Even when we are standing watching events or games or just standing around, the boys get benches for us saying “the bench is here” and we, of course, sit down. They are obedient children (hint, hint) and are very sweet natured. Even the adults are just kind, sweet people. Yesterday, Irene and I were talking about what grew on the land of the school. She mentioned some kind of root, yams (which are purple), pumpkins (which are green) and maize. I had told her how much I like corn and everytime we pass a vendor on the street it smells so good. I also mentioned that I just had to try a jack fruit. They are really ugly but are supposedly really good. This morning Irene called for me to come to her. She had an ear of maize beside her that she had roasted this morning. It was so good. It was charred just a bit and chewy. It was almost like a corn flavored razzle. If you can get the picture. For those of you who like the barely popped kernels of popcorn at the bottom of the bag, you will like this maize. I hope I can roast corn like that when I get home. As well at lunch, they had gone to the village to get a ripe jack fruit. Theirs were not ripe enough yet. The little pieces looked like a sea animal but tasted like a smooth canteloupe but sweeter with maybe a touch of passion fruit or mango. It was yummy. They just go out of their way to make us feel welcome. At the lunch table I sat with Irene, Deborah and “Mama” (wife of Pastor Joel and mother to Deborah and Olivia). These women are amazing. “Mama” is so cool. I call her African Queen. She laughs. Just picture Eddie Murphy’s mom in Coming to America. That’s her…complete with the attire. She and Olivia prepare lunch for us each day. Today we had the ground nut paste and smashed bananas I had heard about from the Glisson’s. Didn’t try the bananas but tasted the paste. It was good. They serve it like our chow chow or relish. These three began to tell me about Esther. I have grown very attached to this little girl. I wanted to know her story. Her mom died during childbirth. The people who took care of her “did not care for her”. I asked more questions and found out that she had been beaten and not loved. Hearing this just broke my heart and tears ran down my face. I really didn’t want them to see me cry but I could not help it. Deborah saw and told them (in their language) what I believe to be “we are upsetting her”. They changed the subject. I could not stop thinking of this…this precious little girl who is about 4 or 5 who constantly sings or talks (in Lugandan) and is so loving…how could she be from such a bad past? She does not speak English except for counting and her abcs. She looks at me as if I understand her and I just smile and nod. Our relationship is totally built on touch…hugging, cuddling, rocking and hand holding. She loves being held and hugged. I love this child! Her face and smile is so sweet. Pictures will come later. Later in the day as the older kids did a craft project, I was holding Esther. “Mom” came over and said to her “In your heart, this is your mom” patting me on the leg. Esther just flashed one of her priceless smiles and looked up to me. I do worry about these kids. What will they become? Will they be able to follow their dreams? Will they live past 20 years old? Several had symptoms of malaria this week. They were hot and just laid around or on us. They give them preventative meds and treat the effected ones. One of our other little “lovies” is Love. She was burning up today. I think about when my kids were little and they were sick, I loved just snuggling with them and giving them fluids, etc. For instance, Caroline is at home sick and has been since I left on Sunday. That is hard for me. These kids are cared for but I sure wish they could get more individual attention. Alexis held Love most of the afternoon and just loved her. This little “diva” is usually doing her thing and going everywhere but today she was just not right. The teachers were pretty sure it was malaria but assured us she would be ok. Deborah approached me later saying “I see you from a distance and you look lonely and you are thinking a lot” and I knew what she meant…she meant preoccupied. And I was. She told me that they love these kids, they get fed the Bible, they teach them to love and they give them wisdom. She didn’t want me to worry. I know they are doing the best they can and I do know they love them, it’s just hard. I think of that song that says “Now that I have seen, I am responsible”. Just so much to take in. Oh, and on a much lighter note, I was also treated to my hair being braided (plated). I mentioned to one of the teachers (also Esther) that I needed to get my hair done while I was here (joking) and here she comes (through the fruits and vegetables) with two girls Laura and Fatumah. They braided my hair! The kids loved this and thought it was quite comical as they watched Auntie Kelli get her hair done. Ugh. I dread tomorrow and saying bye to these people especially, Esther. Wish I could taker her home with me. Can I?


No comments:

Post a Comment